Thursday, March 29, 2012

DTS Server

Hi,
Can someone tell me how to start DTS Server in SQL 2005 beta 2?
In "Server Configuration Manager", I see DTS Server's State is "Stopped", and Start Mode is "Other (Boot, System, Disabled or Unknown). Attempts to start (by doing: properties -> start) have failed.
In the tool "SQL Server 2005 Surface Area Configuration", I found the "start, stop, pause, resume" buttons grayed out.
david
SQL Server Agent depenedent services which means you have to install SQL Server Agent with a service account. Hope this helps.|||

Thanks for the fast response.
But, could you give me a little walkthrough for doing what you've suggested, namely:
" ... install SQL Server Agent with a service account ... " ?
With beta 2, I can see the tool MS SQL Server Management Studio, and I can see "SQL Server Agent", and in the "Logins" section a number of entries are listed.
But exactly what need to be done to get DTS started? (Pl outline the exact steps - I do not have prior exprience with SQL server admin, and the SQL2005 beta 2 documentation on system admin is mostly "blank" presently.)
Thanks.
david

|||

You need Admin experience to know how to install the SQL Server Agent with a service account most COM C++ programmers need it so they know. That said the quick and dirty solution is to reinstall SQL Server because after six years Microsoft installer now ask you to install SQL Server Agent with a service account. The other option try the links below for the configuration steps. Hope this helps.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_xp_aa-sz_4jxo.asp

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/tsqlref/ts_xp_aa-sz_8sdm.asp

|||

Thanks for the detail info you've provided. I am going see what I can do with it. The codes in the links have syntax that resembles what I have seen in some stored procedures (EXEC, ... etc.) Since these are all new to me, I will ask you these 2 elementary questions:
(i) Using just SQL server (i.e. without using ASP.NET), what are some of the ways I may enter and run the sample codes in the links you've provided?
(ii) Assuming DTS is set up successfully and is running, where may I initiate the DTS function in SQL Server 2005?
I know the answer for SQL 2000, and that is simply by going to: Tool -> DTS, or alternately go to Tools -> Import/Export.
For SQL SERVER 2005, should I expect to be able to do the same to start up DTS?
The reason I am asking this is because I have somehow got DTS Server running, but I don't see a way to begin using DTS (I don't see DTS under the "Tools" tab)
Thanks again, for the previous rensponse.
David

|||Additional question:
Are DTS funcationality available for use from ASP.NET 2.0 Beta 2?|||The new the DTS is a full ETL(extraction transforamtion and loading) tool so you have to go to the first link I gave you to know more about it. Another option is the SQL Server BOL(books online) it is the best in the industry. Hope this helps

No comments:

Post a Comment