Tuesday, March 27, 2012

DTS Project Template not available?

I need to import data from a CSV file into a db I'm designing. I figured I'd use DTS (which I understand now uses VS in the form of a 'Business Intelligence' (BI) project). My problem is that my only choices for BI projects are:

Analysis Service Project, Import Analysis Services 9.0 Database, Integration Services Project, Report Server Project Wizard, Report Model Project, Report Server Project.

No "Data Transformation Project".

I have SQL Server 2005 Developer's Edition. Might it be that DTS is not included in that version?

If I can't use DTS, what choices do I have?

It is included choose Integration Service Project but when you are importing CVS file into SQL Server, the server sees null values due to the nature of CVS files so it is a good idea to import your file into temp table before doing an INSERT INTO to your destination table. Try the link below for ready to use code but you can just use the GUI. The site is run by DTS expert. Hope this helps.

http://www.sqlis.com/

|||

Great, thanks! Yes, I have already created a 'temp' table as well as my ultimate normalized tables.

I'll check out that site.

No comments:

Post a Comment